The immune system is responsible for protecting the body against infections and disease in addition to killing pathogens. This system is comprised of various kinds of antibodies, proteins, cells, organs and cells that work together to combat and protect against disease. This is accomplished by attacking foreign and diseased cells and eliminating them from the body.
Disorders and deficiencies in this system cause illness. Immunodeficiency can be due to a genetic disease or by side effects of drugs or by viruses. Autoimmune diseases come from an overactive immune system that attacks normal tissues. The body has B cells, T cells and antibodies for each antigen (virus, bacteria) but only in a limited supply. When the need arises, the cells reproduce by the millions to fight off the bad guys! What you eat is quite important in fostering or suppressing your immune system.
Here are a few foods that boost your immune system.
- Mushrooms are low in carbs and high in antioxidants and protein. They’re a probiotic, so that they promote good germs and fights bad bacteria and helps your immune system. It’s recognized that mushrooms assist your body in several ways including; enhanced blood circulation, destroying cancer cells and combating colds during cold and flu season. Some of the top ones to consume are shiitake, yun zhi, cordyceps, turkey tail and reishi.
- Garlic is one of the best foods for preventing illness. It’s been proven to increase production of white cells and antibodies that pinpoint and attack cancer cells. It eliminates free radicals in the blood and unclogs cells. A chemical in garlic called allicin has been shown to possess antiviral properties which could help prevent colds and the flu. It’s also been proven to decrease yeast infections, staph infections and detox harmful metals out of your bloodstream.
- Broccoli has a compound called sulforaphane which will help fight diseases and the aging process by attacking free radicals. It causes the body to produce phase 2 enzymes, which can be among the most effective anti cancer compounds around. It’s also a wonderful source of vitamin c, a celebrity antioxidant that requires no introduction. Compounds in broccoli are excellent at detoxifying, eliminating toxic substances in our cells.
- Whey protein is the liquid byproduct from cheese production.
- Blueberries are always ranked as best fruit for antioxidants. The colour of berry is the origin of its antioxidant power. Blueberries are linked to a lot of health benefits including preventing and treating urinary tract infections, help fight aging, and help prevent degenerative diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular disease and memory loss.