Antioxidants are molecules that work by combating free radicals. These toxins are unsteady molecules that can damage body cells and impair their function if they’re left unchecked. Free radicals can achieve your body from external sources like pollution, UV light or smoking. The damage done by free radicals can be connected to aging in addition to creation of diseases like cancer or Alzheimer’s.
It can become weak from the attacks by free radicals. The significant advantages from antioxidants are – aid maintaining general health, protecting central nervous system, improving cardiovascular health, strengthen immune system, etc.. Antioxidants are available in two available types – supplements and food. Antioxidants in foods are known as the best way to consume antioxidants. They’re plentiful and every nutritious diet should consider them as a must. To receive the best benefit out of foods, we can eat them raw or simply lightly steamed.
Getting antioxidants in this manner has been demonstrated to be beneficial. Various kinds of foods contain antioxidants. You may maintain a diverse diet and get all the antioxidants your body needs to keep healthy.
- Fruits: Berries, dried plums, cherries, raspberries, strawberries, apples, blueberries, black plums, kiwi, orange, pineapple.
- Vegetables: Beans, Russet potatoes, spinach, parsley, artichokes, brussel sprouts, peppers, red cabbage, beets, carrots, kale, asparagus, watercress, broccoli, lentils, peas, garlic, tomato.
- Nuts: Pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds. Spices: Cinnamon, cloves, oregano.
- Beverages: Green tea, red wine, coffee, oolong tea.
- Dry fruit: Apricots, prunes, dates.
- Cereal: Barley, oats, corn, millet. The benefits of nutritional supplements have to be known before you opt to take any antioxidants in supplement form.
Though it’s advised to consume antioxidants from natural sources, supplements may also be obtained under the appropriate instructions or advice from your doctor. Getting nutrients in capsule form might not be the preferred solution, but they still supply what our bodies will need to achieve the desired health levels. To prevent the unwanted effects of antioxidants, an individual should indulge in a wholesome diet and consume correct portions of antioxidant supplements. Excess supplementation may be harmful for the human body.
High doses of beta-carotene can improve the functions of cancer-causing chemicals. Intake of extra Vitamin A can damage the DNA and increase the chance of lung cancer in smokers. Vitamin E gets pro-oxidant by increasing cell damage if it’s consumed at a high dose. It may also increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke and prostate cancer. As a known fact, a lot of everything is bad. Hence, it’s important to reflect on what our needs are, and then decide to plan and indulge in a wholesome diet or resort to supplements as a aided form of attaining the end desired outcome.